The Great Divide Mountain Bike Route from Canada to Mexico.


Welcome! This site documents a two month, solo, unsupported mountain bike tour of the The Great Divide Mountain Bike Route from Banff AB Canada to the US-Mexican border at Antelope Wells, NM. The trip began in late July and finished 25 SEP 2007. It took 61 days and encompassed 2842.32 miles.

My more detailed and informative site can be found at:

http://boundaryzero.net

Please forward any questions/comments via email to: boundaryzerochris@gmail.com.
_____________________________________________

LATEST POSTS

View latests posts below: If you click on a "menu post," only that post will be shown. Click here to get back to main site.

24 July 2007

On Route Logistics Info

"Field experience is something you don't get until just after you need it."
-Murphy's Laws of Combat

While on the route, I planned in some limited resupply options. This will happen using post offices along the trail as resupply pickup points. I may reach bounce box resupply once a week or more (or less) depending on locations, time, and changes in riding pace. Initially, I set up four 'bounce boxes' using USPS Flat Rate ($8.95 per box regardless of weight Priority Mail) Boxes. See below:
The four boxes on top are the on route bounce boxes, the big Schwalbe box has dehydrated camping food (Mountain House, Backpackers Pantry, etc.) and a bag of clothes for my parents to bring down when they pick me up at the US-MEX border. My remote support crew (my sister and her family, thank you, thank you!) will send me the food as needed from Texas as I progress along the route.

The on route bounce boxes are set up by type:
-Initial dehydrated food resupply
-Bike parts and other specialty repair items/tools that would have to be shipped in otherwise.
-An extra tire and extra tubes
-Extra personal items, like a clean change of clothes (something to wear when I launder my other stuff) hygiene supplies, 110 chargers for electrics if I am hotelling it at the drop point, and some backup misc gear items.

The first drop has already been sent to Montana.