The Great Divide Mountain Bike Route from Canada to Mexico.


Welcome! This site documents a two month, solo, unsupported mountain bike tour of the The Great Divide Mountain Bike Route from Banff AB Canada to the US-Mexican border at Antelope Wells, NM. The trip began in late July and finished 25 SEP 2007. It took 61 days and encompassed 2842.32 miles.

My more detailed and informative site can be found at:

http://boundaryzero.net

Please forward any questions/comments via email to: boundaryzerochris@gmail.com.
_____________________________________________

LATEST POSTS

View latests posts below: If you click on a "menu post," only that post will be shown. Click here to get back to main site.

24 August 2007

Day 29 Pinedale, WY

"Hit upon 'em Joe, raise the barn on yourself...Rain, Rain, Rains
gonna fall...right onto your head"
-Rusted Root, Rain

Howdy all, been awhile since the last post...but then again I am in
the least populated state per square mile in the US... Wyoming.
Regarding concerns about stretches between posting, I AM adhering to
the 3-4 day "safety" communication schedule I established and posted
in the "Route Communication" posting linked in the header and on the
sidebar links. I do appreciate the concern, but when I cannot post to
the blog, I do call one or more of the folks on the rotation, it's
worked well so far.

Anyway, to the fun stuff. I pulled out of Lima, MT and was grounded
about 15 miles out by an intense lightning and rain storm that went on
for about two hours. Since that area is an alpine desert, I dried
off on the move and rolled through some interesting open ranch
country. As the day was winding down..I was still a ways out from my
destination campsite. As luck (or fate, or karma...) would have it,
literally in the middle of the desolation, I ran into some folks in an
SUV who were waching wildlife in the Red Rocks Wildlife Preserve.
They offered me a sandwich, some fresh fruit and some wine. I passed
on the wine, but the rest of it hit the spot and saved me from having
to cook in the dark at the campsite. Much thanks to those folks...you
made my day!
The next morning, before I moved out to cross over Red Rocks Pass
and into Idaho, I met some wonderful "Leave No Trace" trailbuilding
volunteers from Cali who presented me with my official trip mascot, a
small, finger puppet owl. This guy now rides looking forward, bungeed
to my front food bag. Those who understand the metaphysical
significance of the owl...or who are just Mulder-types like me... can
appreciate the symbolism associated there.

Idaho, the 35 or so miles I rode at least, was very beautiful. I
rode an old railway bed (now a supersoft ATV haul ass washboard bed!)
that was slow-going high rolling resistance terrain but nonetheless
very beautiful. It had a spooky darkside-ish tunnel that I had to
really use the force to get through (about 80 ft of it anyway) in the
dark...mainly because I was just to lazy to pull out my headlamp
before going in.

The tunnel was not the last time I rode in the dark that day. I
overestimated my ability and the terrain, deciding to ride the
isolated "Reclamation Road" between Ashton, ID and Flagg Ranch, WY.
This road basically took me eastbound over the north side of the Teton
Range and into the zoo of Teton and Yellowstone NPs. Great
unobstructed views of the backside of the Tetons! Anyway, I rode the
last 10 or so miles into Flagg Ranch in the dark, in the rain, with
tunes crankin! Coming into Flagg Ranch in the made me think I was
coming up on a fireworks stand in Tennessee. Look, it's Las Vegas! I
got a campsite (with shower, which was nice) and rode into a scene
similar to the bar scene in Star Wars. Not much sleep that night
amidst the parties, campfires (somebody didn't get the "forest fires
everywhere!" word,) RV generator noise, and Harleys firing up at 5AM.
Take me back to sketchball, bear scare campsites, please!

The next morning I toured the 287 route between Yellowstone and Teton
Parks, which was beautiful but very dangerous riding a highway with no
shoulder crammed full of tourists in huge motorhomes moving as fast as
possible until someone spotted a deer or moose and then everyone
pulling over and taking pics. Never before on this trip had I been
more afraid for my life! I rode that section like it was the Tour De
France, as fast as possible, barely even stopping to eat.

The following day, I ended up back on 287 where road construction and
big gravel trucks were added to the pile of motorhomes and SUVs.
Finally got back on dirt and headed up Union Pass, where I proceeded
to get smacked by a huge thunder, lightning, hail, snow, and
rainstorm. I was hanging out, soaked, waiting under the deck of a
closed lodge for the rain to stop, when a guy pulled up and asked if I
wanted to stay in his vacant camper for the night. Jeff is a great
guy, a shower, dinner, and a warm dry camper was most excellent!
Thanks for the hospitality and excellent conversation, Jeff...you are
truly a wonderful person!

So, I rode the soggy 85 plus miles into Pinedale yesterday...one of
the longest days of the trip...both in miles and in mind. But,
Pinedale has been worth it...I really like this town, lots of
character...the first place on the route that I would consider maybe
relocating to in the future.

The big, open push across the plain is next and I hope to be in
Colorado by the end of the week.

Thanks for all the emails and support! I'm still going strong and all
equipment is servicable.

Mileage to date: 1286.81
Divide crossings: 11